Sunday, September 16, 2012

Lumpectomy

Surgery Day - May 10th 2012

I had a Reiki Master with me for the day - she's in the video and explains how it all works.

(Looking back at these videos I'm amazed that I thought I looked pretty good, cause I look HORRIBLE! I was so exhausted at this point, the easiest tasks were becoming a chore.)

The surgery was pretty easy.  They gave me a prescription for hydrocodone which Simon was able to get filled right there at the hospital pharmacy.  I was able to keep the pain down with just advil, until we removed the bandages after about 2 days.  I found that the wound would rub, especially at night on my sheets and I would be in a lot of pain.  I ended up taking the drugs a couple of times, especially helpful for getting to sleep at night.

Waiting for Surgery - It was FREEZING and the back of head was cold so I had to wrap the blanket they gave me around my back and over my head.

There were 2 incisions.  One on the breast and one in the armpit for the lymph nodes.  Surprisingly the armpit incision has healed much faster than the one on the breast.  I have put vitamin E oil on the wounds daily (they close them up with a glue of some sort, no incisions)  and now after 4 months they look really good. 

Here's what the breast incision looks like today

No comments:

Post a Comment